You turn off Pohoiki (Old Mango) Road and head down a private drive tunneled by majestic albezia trees. Upon your arrival look east and downslope to a commanding view of the ocean. Breathe deeply. Inhale the world’s freshest air as it courses over the ocean heading up mountain (mauka). This highly ionized air is fresh and invigorating.
Listen for the soft rumble of the distant surf. In the morning watch the rising sun from your private lanai (covered deck) and watch how the color of the sea (kai) changes passing through shades of cobalt blue and violet until the evening. Spend the day resting, healing, relaxing. Perhaps you will leave this sanctuary for a dip into tropical paradise:
- Drive along the Red Road (originally the King’s Road) that hugs the ocean.
- Bathe or swim the geothermal warm pond.
- Sun on the clothing optional Black Sand Beach and catch a glimpse of the dolphins spinning.
- Visit historic Hilo and its Farmers Market and shops.
- Drive up the ‘Hamakua coast visiting Akaka Falls, the town of Honoka’a.
- Hike Waipio Valley.
- Visit an active volcano and Volcanoes National Park.
But at the end of each adventure you will always return to this tranquil, secluded spot. Spend an afternoon curled up with a good book in a rattan chair on the lanai listening to the glancing fall of a tropical rain. Waiting for a rainbow. Spend a restful night beneath the stars and the Milky Way which you may experience for the first time and understand how it got its name. Then drift off to sleep caressed by the soft, warm breezes and the soothing night sounds of the forest.