Enjoy a week in our contemporary version of a Bali Temple perched on the edge of an old lava flow. Situated on six acres of tropical privacy beautifully landscaped with legacy trees: over 30 palms (15 varieties), an Australian flame tree (a special treat for August visitors), native ohias and halas, trees sacred to the Hawaiians. In addition there are nine bamboos (seven varieties), an orchard, a fragrance garden, and a hapu'u grove trail leading to our own lava tube.
Mahi is Hawaiian for farm or a placing of growing and making. Oli means pleasure. Say something twice in Hawaiian, and you indicate and so much more. Mahi Oli’ Oli translates as the place of making abundant pleasure.
Located 21 miles south of Hilo Airport in the Puna district, is a special place for the fun and play of vacation, the rest and reflection of retreat, the joy and love of a special ceremony, and the sacred energy for a personal journey. It is the starting point and end place for adventuring, discovering, exploring inner life as well as the life of the Big Island of Hawaii.
- Beautifully constructed in cedar and tropical hardwoods with a spacious, open studio-inspired design, vaulted ceiling, broad sliding-glass doors and windows inviting tropical breezes throughout.
- Gracious tropical hardwood floors of island grown eucalyptus and wrap-around covered deck (lanai) of Brazilian walnut (ipe).
- Modern kitchen with green Silestone™ countertops and all the amenities including a stylish Danish energy efficient refrigerator.
- Queen-size bed with 400 thread-count sheets supplemented by Queen air-mattress for lanai sleeping or indoor use.
- DVD, 28" monitor, CD library, surround sound
- Solar electricity for low carbon impact.
- Gas-fired BBQ
- Elegant glass and stone bathroom.
- Full ocean view from your bed and the lanai.
- Tropical garden beautifully landscape for total privacy and quiet.
- On site massage available from a list of local practitioners.
- Large warm geothermal pool, oceanside and only 5 minutes away.
- Cindercone steam vents for clothing optional meditation/sweats.
- Kehena Beach/Black Sand Beach for clothing optional sunbathing, dolphin sightings, and Sunday afternoon drumming and fire dances, 15 minutes.
- Snorkel at the Kapoho Tide Pools 10 minutes away.
- Quaint Pahoa Village 10 minutes away with restaurants, health food store, fish market, and giftshops.
- Nearby Kalani Oceanside Retreat for delicious meals (including many vegan & vegitarian options), yoga, massage, and day use opportunities with large pool, sauna, hot tub, and gym.
- Proximity to Volcanoes National Park, the quaint old port town of Hilo (with its remarkable Farmers Market, Tsunami Museum, art galleries), the Mauna Kea Observatory, Hawaii Botanical Gardens.